Types of Cockroaches in the UK
Cockroaches are distinguished by their very long whip-like antennae, flat oval bodies and rapid, jerky walk. There are two main species of cockroach in Britain, Oriental and German Cockroaches:
- The adult German Cockroach is a light yellowy/brown and is 10 to 15mm long.
- The Oriental Cockroach is dark brown/black and is 20 to 24mm long. Immature stages of Cockroach, look exactly like adults, just on a smaller scale.
Cockroaches Habitat and Diet
Cockroaches are rarely able to survive out of doors in the British climate but thrive around the heating ducts and boiler rooms of large centrally heated buildings e.g. hospitals, bakeries, hotels and restaurant kitchens, and blocks of flats.
They cluster around pipes, stoves, and sinks, especially in humid areas, and will often remain hidden during the day.
Cockroaches will feed on almost anything, including refuse, faecal matter and food for consumption.
They also require access to water and will be generally found in inaccessible harbourages, close to water and food. Cockroaches can survive for several months without food, but will not live for more than a few days without water.
How to Prevent Cockroaches
Areas with food, water and dark spaces to hide are ideal environments for Cockroaches to live. Here few prevention tips for securing your property:
- Keep areas clean and tidy – Clean all surfaces thoroughly to remove any food residue. Try and not leave dirty dishes and utensils in the sink. Keep bins covered, clean, and emptied regularly. Areas such as top or beneath your refrigerator are warm and food collect their, attracting Cockroaches, so clean these areas regularly
- Proofing and Repair – seal gaps around doors, windows, and where utility lines enter to prevent entry. If possible, repair any leaks beneath the sink, and on the sink top, immediately, thus cutting a potential water source
How to get rid of Cockroaches
Control of cockroaches is seldom easy because of the difficulty of getting the insecticide to the insect. The insecticide, ideally, should have sufficient persistence to kill the nymphs hatching later from un-hatched egg capsules.
Action Pest Control are trained in cockroach control and have access to a range of professional insecticides which are not available to the public.
- Sticky traps – The use of sticky traps is not recommended for controlling cockroaches, but should be used for monitoring purposes only.
- Insecticidal control – The success of the treatment depends on what insecticides are chosen, and how thorough the application is. Cockroach control usually requires an extended program of control combined with proper hygiene measures!
We have over 20 years experience in the pest control industry with all our work is guaranteed
“Action Pest Control devised a complete pest control strategy which allowed us to comply with all regulations set down by the environment agency. We have been working together for the past six years and will continue to do so. Well done.”Mr A
We have had a service contract with David Williams of Action Pest Control to the past eight years, as we run a busy farm shop confidentiality is a key issue, with customers unaware of any treatment is being carried out, nothing seems to much trouble for Action Pest Control. Thanks.Mrs S